We help employers successfully manage their workforces to optimize productivity and employee loyalty in the face of unprecedented challenges in today’s employment environment. We advise on policies and regulatory compliance, provide training that helps avoid issues, and defend against claims should they arise.
Ballard Spahr’s Labor and Employment Group attorneys apply decades of experience and up-to-the-moment monitoring of developments to provide the most effective counsel and representation to private and public employers, covering the full scope of labor- and employment-related issues. As the global coronavirus pandemic continues to cause seismic shifts in how the world works, we are advising clients on unemployment and leave compensation, requests for accommodations, immigration, government loans and aid programs, payroll issues, workplace safety and productivity issues, insurance, and other matters.
- For more than 30 years, our attorneys have handled labor negotiations for Temple University. We served as counsel to Temple's chief negotiator in talks with unions representing 13 bargaining units, including the faculty. In 1987 and 1990, when the faculty struck, we helped Temple through particularly difficult negotiations by, among other things, obtaining an unprecedented back-to-work order, preserving the fall semester. In 2008 and 2009, Ballard Spahr served as the chief negotiator for Temple in its faculty negotiations.
Wage and Hour Class Action Defense
- We are defending a major telecommunications company sued as a joint employer in several jurisdictions for failing to pay overtime for all hours worked. We represent the company in Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey in "opt-in" collective actions under the FLSA and class actions under various state wage and hour laws. We obtained summary judgment in Maryland finding our client is not a joint employer.
Discrimination Class Action Defense
- We defended a large energy company being sued by a class of more than 2,000 employees claiming reverse discrimination and age discrimination. We successfully challenged class certification based on the absence of commonality and typicality and persuaded the plaintiffs to drop the collective action age claim.
Labor and Employment Reorganization Implications
- We advised a prominent Philadelphia-based health system on the labor implications as well as obligations under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) related to the closing of a unionized facility.
- Since 1997, Ballard Spahr has represented SEPTA in its dealings with its largest union, the Transport Workers Union, Local 234, serving as primary counsel for the handling of grievance arbitrations. We have successfully defended unfair labor charges and also serve on the SEPTA teams negotiating with the Fraternal Order of Transit Police, as well as with Local 234.
Rankings and Recognition
"Meticulous and extremely prompt."
ChambersUSA Arizona Labor and Employment, 2022
Chambers USA New Jersey Labor and Employment, 2022
A Top-Tier National Practice
26 practices ranked in the highest tier nationally
Best Law Firms, 2023
104 Attorneys and 50 Practices Recognized for Excellence
Chambers USA, 2023