For decades, we have represented private, public, and nonprofit employers in their dealings with unions and unionized workforces. Our legal services include:
- Union avoidance training and counseling
- Management of union organizing attempts and corporate campaigns
- Appearances before the National Labor Relations Board in representation and unfair labor practice cases
- Appearances before state labor relations boards in representation and unfair labor practice cases
- Prevention and control of strikes and picketing
- Union negotiations
- Advice on administration of contracts and handling of grievances
- Labor and interest arbitrations
- Decertification and withdrawal of union recognition
- For more than 30 years, our attorneys have handled labor negotiations for Temple University. We served as counsel to Temple's chief negotiator in talks with unions representing 13 bargaining units, including the faculty. In 1987 and 1990, when the faculty struck, we helped Temple through particularly difficult negotiations by, among other things, obtaining an unprecedented back-to-work order, preserving the fall semester. In 2008 and 2009, Ballard Spahr served as the chief negotiator for Temple in its faculty negotiations.
- Our attorneys were the first in DuPont history to serve as chief spokespersons for the company during union negotiations. We have represented DuPont in a series of unfair labor practice (ULP) proceedings before the NLRB across the Northeast. Appearing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, we obtained an appellant court affirmance of a favorable NLRB decision arising out of a lengthy ULP trial we had handled for DuPont in Buffalo, New York.
- For more than a decade, our lawyers have represented Valero Energy on labor and employment matters at its two East Coast refineries, including contract negotiations with the United Steelworkers, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and the Independent Oil Workers' Union. We have represented Valero on many labor arbitrations, ULP proceedings before the NLRB, and on a representation petition, and we continue to assist the company in day-to-day labor and employment matters.
- We have represented Geisinger Health System in labor and employment matters for more than 10 years. We have served as its chief negotiator and have counseled the system in labor negotiations, ULP charges, and organizing campaigns.