Class Action Litigation
When a class action is filed, the risks are high. Clients need experienced lawyers who can provide sophisticated and effective representation. We have successfully defended companies in many different industries against class actions in a wide range of areas.
Ballard Spahr’s litigators have repeatedly achieved outstanding results in defending our clients against major class actions in federal and state courts throughout the country.
We have the experience to provide highly sophisticated, effective class action representation to a wide range of industries, including:
- Banks and consumer financial services
- Manufacturing and consumer products
- Trade and technical schools
- Defended an automobile manufacturer in a month-long jury trial of an action alleging consumer fraud in connection with the sale and servicing of 8,000 motor vehicles. The jury found for the plaintiffs on only one claim, limiting damages to less than one-tenth of the damages sought. The entire class damages verdict was subsequently overturned on post-trial motions, resulting in an individualized damages process.
- Represented manufacturers of appliances and electronics in suits claiming product defects, and a beverage maker in a suit alleging that a drink developed as all-natural is not.
- Represented several automobile manufacturers in class actions alleging product defects. Our most recent victory was defeating class certification in multidistrict litigation arising from the sale and marketing of OnStar services.