Manufacturing companies face a range of challenges in the pursuit of their business goals—shifting regulatory obligations, shareholder demands, throughput issues, the need to simultaneously manage growth, risk, and innovation. Our Manufacturing Group helps clients anticipate and meet those challenges.
Our industry-centered approach fosters a holistic understanding of our clients’ business challenges and leverages the firm’s cross-practice strength and national platform to address specific issues. Lawyers in the group provide comprehensive counsel on matters ranging from day-to-day operational issues to complex transactions and multi-district litigation.
Our attorneys assist clients throughout the value chain—from raw material suppliers and converters to end item assemblers, distributors, and logistics providers. We help companies form new businesses, integrate, expand, or divest. The team includes lawyers who focus on intellectual property, labor and employment, real estate, tax, antitrust, product liability, environmental law, securities, government relations, and project finance. Our clients span many segments of the manufacturing industry, including:
- Aerospace, aviation, and defense
- Analytical, optical, and imaging technologies
- Chemicals, polymers, and plastics
- Consumer products, food and beverage
- Industrial products, equipment, and machinery, as well automotive, electronics, paper and packaging, building materials, and metal fabrication.
Staying competitive requires the foresight to identify opportunities, anticipate future challenges, leverage emerging technologies, and plan for sudden threats and market changes. Our attorneys have the broad market knowledge and industry experience to provide counsel and dispute resolution to help manufacturers implement their own strategies to shape the future of their businesses.
Ballard Spahr has represented numerous manufacturers in a wide range of legal issues. A sampling of our recent experience includes the following matters:
- We serve as outside counsel to a global manufacturer of aerospace structures, systems, and components. The team provides ongoing representation on general business; antitrust; environmental issues; IP; labor and employment; M&A; securities; and real estate issues. Recently, we helped the company negotiate third-party purchases and long-term leases involving multiple California properties containing manufacturing, industrial, and office space.
- We represent a leading manufacturer on the environmental aspects of site acquisition. A typical representation: the client purchased a manufacturing operation and was indemnified by the seller for environmental conditions that originated before purchase. Our litigators represent the company in developing environmental claims against the seller and in ongoing negotiations to resolve them.
- We are primary outside IP counsel for a manufacturer of high-tech performance safety apparel. Our work includes managing worldwide patent and trademark preparation and prosecution, IP strategy, and trade secrets. We are currently helping the company protect battlefield-born technology used in industries including power generation, petrochemical, and INDYCAR racing.