Hara K. Jacobs—leader of Ballard Spahr’s nationally recognized Trademarks and Copyrights Group—focuses on intellectual property infringement litigation and advising clients on the implementation and development of global branding and enforcement strategies.
Hara has more than 25 years of experience representing clients in all phases of trademark, trade dress, false advertising, copyright, trade secret, and right of publicity litigation, from initial counseling through trial and appeal. She regularly appears in federal and state courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Sturm, Ruger & Co. v. American Outdoor Brands Corporation et al. (D. N.H. 2019). Defeated motion for preliminary injunction alleging that a Smith & Wesson rifle infringed the trade dress of Ruger’s 10/22 rifle following expedited fact and expert discovery and a three day evidentiary hearing in November 2019.
- Hidden City v. ABC, Inc. (E.D. Pa. 2018). Successfully dismissed trademark infringement and dilution claims against ABC, Inc. by prevailing on a motion to dismiss on First Amendment grounds.
- PNGI Charles Town Gaming, LLC and Hollywood Casinos, LLC v. Hot Spot CT Real Estate, LLC, d/b/a Casino Pawn and Brent Jackson (N.D. W.V. 2018). Successfully represented Penn National Gaming in false association claim against defendants who branded their pawn shop as “Casino Pawn”.
- Estate of Flatow (Pa. Super. 2016) Obtained summary judgment dismissing will contest on behalf of three charities and obtained affirmance of ruling in PA Superior Court, resulting in the recovery of millions of dollars for the charities.
- Successfully defended educational consulting company in a competitive bidding dispute for a state contract resulting in the withdrawal of the bid dispute
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract and tortious interference claims in federal court on behalf of computer-based testing company arising out of a competitive bidding dispute
Pennsylvania Bar Association Review and Certifying Board, member
International Trademark Association
Ballard Spahr's Hiring Committee
Recognition & Accomplishments
World Trademark Review 1000: The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals, 2021
Recognized as one of the "Best of the Bar" by the Philadelphia Business Journal for 2020
Chambers USA, intellectual property law, 2010-2017
Benchmark Litigation, "Local Litigation Star," Intellectual Property, 2017-2021; named one of the "Top 250 Women in Litigation," 2017-2018
Recognized as an "IP Star" in Pennsylvania by Managing Intellectual Property magazine, 2013, 2019-2020; named one of the "Top 250 Women in IP," 2013; nominated for IP Litigator of the Year for Pennsylvania for 2019 and 2021
"Ethics in Social Media," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 8th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Philadelphia, April 9, 2014
"Web Suffix Explosion May Create .Concern: Strategies for Protecting Brands and Enhancing Data Security," Ballard Spahr webinar, January 13, 2014
"Facebook, Twitter, and Blogging…Oh MySpace! Legal Issues with Social Networking Sites," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Philadelphia, December 2010
Board Memberships & Community Service
ALS Association, Greater Philadelphia Chapter
Co-author, "Do Not Be Blindsided by SideWiki," myCorporateResource.com, November 20, 2009
Co-author, U.S. Trade Dress Law: A Primer for the New Millennium, with Glenn Mitchell, Steven J. Wadyka, Jr., and Melissa J. Lee, 2002
Duke University School of Law (J.D. 1994)
University of Michigan (B.A. 1991, with high distinction)
Member, Phi Beta Kappa