What We Are Doing Now: Supporting the Asian American Pacific Islander Community
Amid an unprecedented rise in anti-Asian hate and violence during COVID-19, our firm began taking action to support our Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) lawyers and staff and the AAPI community.
Our actions include:
- The firm joined the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) in denouncing anti-Asian violence and discrimination by signing the Stand Against Hate statement found here.
- Led by a group of lawyers and staff who were inspired by the firm’s 2020 Racial Justice Fundraising Campaign, we launched an employee donation match fundraising effort to support the AAPI community.
- The firm’s Asian American Business Resource Group, which includes lawyers and staff, held a special meeting with a licensed psychologist who specializes in the well-being of people of color, including Asian Americans. The meeting provided a safe processing space for our AAPI lawyers and staff to come together and guided the firm’s actions in support of the AAPI community.
- The firm’s Asian American Business Resource Group began working with Pro Bono Counsel Lisa Swaminathan to identify pro bono opportunities that support the AAPI community.
- We invested in relationship-building activities to further develop community among AAPI lawyers and staff and to strengthen the Asian American Business Resource Group as a source of support.
- During Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in May, the firm has invited an external speaker for a virtual, firm-wide program to educate and inform our lawyers and staff about the recent rise in anti-Asian hate and violence, the history and context of anti-Asian racism, the impact of racial trauma, and avenues of allyship in support of AAPI co-workers and community.
We will continue to stand with the AAPI community.