Jessica represents landlords, including shopping center landlords, and secured and unsecured creditors, including lenders and asset managers, in national retail bankruptcies and other insolvency matters, receiverships, and commercial litigation, particularly involving distressed debt. She has substantial experience in representing and advising clients in restructuring, liquidations, collateral receiverships, collateral recovery, foreclosure sales, and bankruptcy risks in mortgages, executory contracts, leases, fraudulent conveyances, and preference actions.
Jessica’s clients have included financial institutions, landlords, creative professionals, equipment lessors, dining and hospitality organizations.
- Represents commercial landlords in local and national retail bankruptcy cases under Chapters 11, 13, and 7, including in Ascena, Alex and Ani, A'Gaci, Cinemex, JC Penney, L'Occitane, Forever 21, Tailored Brands, Claire’s, Radio Shack, Lucky Brand, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, Payless, Pier One, Sears, Solstice Sunglasses, Fresh Acquisitions, GBG USA, The Paper Store, Sur La Table, NPC International, Retailwinds, Tuesday Morning, CEC Entertainment, GNC, and 24 Hour Fitness, among other national retail insolvency cases.
- Represents numerous national lenders, equipment lessors, and other creditors in various disputes with borrowers in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts, including on appeal/writ of mandate.
- Represented a well-known songwriter's corporate entity in an executory contract dispute in bankruptcy court involving a debtor’s attempted rejection of a personal services contract with exclusivity provisions.
- Represented the FDIC-Receiver of failed banks in Vineyard National Bancorp, 1st Centennial Bancorp, and Alliance Bancshares California re: FDIC-R’s entitlement to millions of dollars in tax refunds.
Pro Bono Experience
- Panelist, “Working with Pro Bono Attorneys,” 2021 General Assembly of the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty, plenary session, June 18, 2021
- In coordination with the Advocates for Human Rights and partner organizations, drafted Stakeholder Report on a three-person team for the United Nations Universal Periodic Review for the United Republic of Tanzania (39th Session of the Working Group on the Universal Periodic Review October–November 2021).
Hon. Mary Ellen Barbera, Maryland Court of Special Appeals, 2005-2006
By appointment, member of the Insolvency Law Committee, Business Law Section of the State Bar of California, and Publications Subcommittee 2017-2021
Panelist, “Where Are We Now? The Evolution of Retail Insolvency Cases,” U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 30, 2015
American University, Washington College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
University of Michigan (B.A. 2000)