Jessica’s practice focuses on a wide range of complex and commercial litigation and insolvency matters during all stages of proceedings in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts as well as on appeal, particularly concerning distressed debt. Jessica has substantial experience representing secured and unsecured creditors, including shopping center landlords, commercial lenders/financial institutions, and asset managers, in national and local bankruptcy matters and receiverships. She also represents various commercial entities in arbitration and mediation. Jessica co-leads the firm's Distressed Digital Assets team.
Jessica has represented and advised clients in restructuring, liquidations, collateral receiverships, collateral recovery, foreclosure sales, contract, fraud, and guarantor disputes, single asset real estate cases, and bankruptcy risks in mortgages/deeds of trust, executory contracts, leases, fraudulent conveyances, and preference actions.
- Represents commercial landlords in local and national retail bankruptcy cases under Chapters 11, 13, and 7, including in Ascena, Alex and Ani, A'Gaci, Cinemex, JC Penney, L'Occitane, Forever 21, Tailored Brands, Claire’s, Radio Shack, Lucky Brand, Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, Payless, Pier One, Sears, Solstice Sunglasses, Fresh Acquisitions, GBG USA, The Paper Store, Sur La Table, NPC International, Retailwinds, Tuesday Morning, CEC Entertainment, GNC, and 24 Hour Fitness, among other national retail insolvency cases.
- Represents numerous national lenders, equipment lessors, and other creditors in various disputes with borrowers in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts, including on appeal/writ of mandate.
- Represents a timeshare company in various arbitrations pending in AAA and JAMS.
Pro Bono Experience
- In coordination with Tahirih Justice Center, represented an Afghan client with obtaining asylum in the United States, 2021-2023
- Panelist, “Working with Pro Bono Attorneys,” 2021 General Assembly of the World Coalition Against the Death Penalty, plenary session, June 18, 2021
- In coordination with the Advocates for Human Rights and partner organizations, drafted Stakeholder Report on a three-person team for the United Nations Universal Periodic Review for the United Republic of Tanzania, 39th Session of the Working Group on the Universal Periodic Review, October – November 2021
Hon. Mary Ellen Barbera, Maryland Court of Special Appeals, 2005-2006
By appointment, member of the Insolvency Law Committee, Business Law Section of the State Bar of California, and Publications Subcommittee 2017-2021
Roundtable Leader, "Cryptocurrency & Bankruptcy," Innovating Commerce Serving Communities (ICSC) Conference, Orlando, Florida, October 28, 2022
Panelist, “Where Are We Now? The Evolution of Retail Insolvency Cases,” U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference, October 30, 2015
American University, Washington College of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2005)
University of Michigan (B.A. 2000)
U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
U.S. Bankruptcy Court of Hawaii