Terence M. Grugan is a member of the firm's White Collar Defense/Internal Investigations, Securities Enforcement and Corporate Governance Litigation, and Anti-Money Laundering Practice Groups. In his white collar practice, Terence represents individuals and entities who are targets, subjects, or witnesses in criminal, regulatory, or administrative government investigations, including investigations conducted by the Department of Justice, Internal Revenue Service, Securities and Exchange Commission, state attorneys general, local, state, or federal inspectors general, and local law enforcement. He has defended clients from the preliminary stages of an investigation through trial in state and federal courts. Terence has also represented clients in federal habeas proceedings and civil rights actions.
In addition, he has extensive experience conducting internal investigations for large and small entities, including investigations involving allegations of fraudulent business practices, campaign finance improprieties, tax fraud, government contracting fraud, and others.
White Collar Defense/Internal Investigations
- Represented the former mayor of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in a Pennsylvania Office of the Attorney General prosecution involving multiple counts of theft and corruption-related offenses
- Represented a former judge of the Philadelphia Traffic Court in a prosecution involving multiple counts under the federal mail and wire fraud statutes relating to an alleged ticket fixing scheme. The client was acquitted of all charges following a two-month trial in federal court in Philadelphia.
- Represented an individual accused of involvement in a scheme to submit false claims to the federal government
Securities Enforcement and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Represented a large investment firm in a three-week FINRA arbitration involving claims of unsuitable investments and professional negligence
- Represented a placement agent in a securities fraud suit in California Superior Court
- Represented a major national corporation in an antitrust class action suit in federal court in the District of New Jersey
- Represented individual under investigation for insider trading by the Securities Exchange Commission in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Represented individual under investigation for insider trading by United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern district of New York.
- Represented financial institution in civil litigation arising from account-holders’ fraud schemes
- Represented buyer conducting BSA due diligence in connection with potential business acquisition
- Represented potential operator of cryptocurrency exchange examining compliance with BSA and New York State regulations
Pro Bono Experience
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Temple American Inn of Court
Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce Young Professionals Network
Philadelphia Bar Association
Speaker, "Future of BSA: Legislative Proposals, Regulatory Developments, and PPP Lending webinar," Credit Union National Association, November 23, 2020
Speaker, "Trends in Financial Litigation," Pennsylvania Department of Banking and Securities Meeting, Harrisburg, PA, September 18, 2019
Speaker, "Anti-Money Laundering and the Securities Industry," North American Securities Administration Association, September 12, 2018
Board Memberships & Community Service
New Leash on Life USA
Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
Member, Temple Law Review
La Salle University (B.A. 2003)