Peg Brivanlou is a licensed patent attorney and experienced IP counselor who represents biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies and institutions in the spectrum of patent matters, including patent prosecution and portfolio development and management. Peg also advises investment funds and other clients on the intellectual property aspects of transactions, including licensing as well as transfer of technology and other assets.
Peg applies her skills and knowledge, including a doctorate in molecular biology, to represent clients in the biologics and small molecule therapeutics industries. She advises on immunotherapeutics, cell-based assays and therapies, genomics, bioinformatics, vaccines, and small molecule pharmaceuticals. Peg has experience developing patent portfolios, particularly for biologics, antibody therapeutics, and diagnostics. She also handles patent invalidity, freedom-to-operate analyses, and pre-litigation investigations, including for pre-Hatch-Waxman litigation involving generic drug claims.
- IP counsel for a private investment fund on significant royalty stream acquisitions and financings
- Counsel for a private biotechnology company in developing a portfolio of immunotherapeutics patents
- Patent prosecution and counseling for a major pharmaceutical company on its small molecule pharmaceuticals for cardiovascular indications, including approved products and products in final-stage clinical trials
- Patent prosecution and counseling for a foreign pharmaceutical firm for its work on RNAi therapeutics
- Representation of a major pharmaceutical company and private biotechnology companies against the USPTO in administrative and court challenges involving patent term adjustment calculations
Recognition & Accomplishments
LMG Life Sciences Star (2019, 2020)
IAM Patent 1000 Guide, top patent lawyer (2019, 2020)
Managing Intellectual Property, IP Star (2018, 2020)
Co-author, “High Court's Superficial Analysis In Biosimilars Ruling” Law360, June 15, 2017
Co-author, “Clarity from Chaos,” Intellectual Property Magazine, June 12, 2017
Harvard University (J.D., cum laude, 1995)
University of California, Berkeley (Ph.D., 1992)
Cornell University (A.B., magna cum laude, 1986)