Ballard Spahr Represents Marian House as It Takes Reins from Historical Women’s Industrial Exchange in Baltimore
A team of Ballard Spahr lawyers recently advised Marian House, a Baltimore group dedicated to helping women, in the acquisition of the building and assets of the historical Woman’s Industrial Exchange.
The Woman’s Industrial Exchange (WIE) was founded in 1880 to help women earn money at a time when employment opportunities for women were rare. Marian House, founded in 1982, offers temporary housing and rehabilitative services to women who have suffered trauma, abuse, or addiction. The acquisition of the WIE’s landmark North Charles Street building gives Marian House a new campus and its first location in the city’s central business district.
The Ballard Spahr team was led by John P. Smolen and included Teri M. Guarnaccia, Marybeth Orsini, Eben C. Hansel, Charles S. Hirsch, and Alyssa Domzal, and paralegals Kate McDonald and Robert Darrell.