Ballard Spahr Named a National Leader for Diversity + Inclusion
Varied perspectives drive insightful counsel. Ballard Spahr is dedicated to creating a vibrant community where the needs, perspectives, and contributions of people from all backgrounds are valued and integrated.
We create diversity through recruiting, maintain it through inclusion, support it with our many affinity groups, and advance it through partnerships with clients and community. Full access to opportunity is more than good business strategy—it's the right thing to do.
Over the past year, we've been recognized by publications and community organizations throughout the country for the success of our Diversity and Inclusion efforts. While we pledge to continue raising the bar for ourselves, it is our pleasure to share our latest good news:
- In 2019, American Lawyer magazine ranked Ballard Spahr 15th among all major U.S. law firms for our percentage of female equity partners.
- The 2019 Law360 Glass Ceiling Report ranked Ballard Spahr one of the top U.S. firms for women. Law360 began its study by excluding law firms with below-average female representation. Of those that remained, Ballard Spahr placed 11th in the country among firms with more than 600 lawyers.
- Ballard Spahr ranks among the best law firms in the country for minority attorneys, according to Law360's 2019 Diversity Snapshot. Law360 surveyed more than 300 American law firms and ranked us in the top 10 for minority attorneys among comparably sized firms.
- We were proud to receive a perfect rating in the 2018, 2019, and 2020 editions of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation's Corporate Equality Index. The rating recognizes Ballard Spahr's benefits and protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer employees and their families. HRC is the country's largest civil rights organization dedicated to achieving LGBTQ equality. Our non-discrimination workplace protections, domestic partner benefits, transgender-inclusive health care benefits, and engagement with the LGBTQ community earned us a "Best Place to Work" designation.
- For the ninth consecutive year, Ballard Spahr was awarded Gold Standard Certification by the Women in Law Empowerment Forum (WILEF) for its high percentage of female leaders as well as its outstanding promotion and compensation practices.
- Sixty-six percent of our 2019 partner class self-identify as women or lawyers of color.