Minnesota New Wage Statute- Employers Take Heed
On July 1st the Minnesota Legislature passed a law that creates significant new notice and recordkeeping requirements, recognizes “wage theft,” and imposes heightened civil and criminal penalties for violations. Join Ballard Spahr Labor and Employment attorneys as they discuss these recent changes and new requirements for employers including:
- Signed “Wage Statements” that must be obtained from each new employee
- Additional employer recordkeeping
- New timing of payment of earnings
- New criminal and civil penalties
- Heightened enforcement by the Attorney General and the Department of Labor and Industry
- They will also discuss best practices during the hiring process regarding the use of offer letters, bonus payments, exempt and nonexempt status, and how other states are handling these wage and hour issues.