We help clients develop and implement new products and navigate the labyrinth of government regulation and enforcement. We also advise on issues related to blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies and help clients safeguard their data and the consumers who use it. We represent clients in matters related to cryptocurrency scams or thefts involving crypto wallets. Ballard Spahr provides comprehensive support to clients at all stages of development, from formation and early-stage startups to large, commercial operations.
Our cross-disciplinary team brings together lawyers who focus on legal areas critical to cryptocurrency providers, including corporate law, securities regulation and enforcement, consumer finance and money transmitter licensing, regulation, and enforcement, white collar defense and investigations, anti-money laundering, tax, intellectual property, and antitrust. Together, we provide a comprehensive legal resource to blockchain and digital currency market participants.
In the area of product development, our intellectual property lawyers work nationally and globally to identify, secure, and protect our clients’ innovations. We provide a full range of intellectual property services—from patent procurement and licensing to the protection of trademark and copyright portfolios and the enforcement of intellectual property rights. Our nationally recognized Consumer Financial Services Group assists clients in the development of new financial services products, identifying, obtaining, and maintaining required state licenses, the acquisition of issuers and product portfolios, the negotiation and drafting of commercial and consumer agreements, and state regulatory enforcement actions.
Our litigation team—particularly our white collar defense attorneys—have decades of experience dealing with state and federal regulators, including:
- The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN)
- The U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- The IRS
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- State Attorney Generals and regulators nationwide
We have successfully handled issues involving alleged misconduct across the country, including investigations and prosecutions by the U.S. Department of Justice. Our experience includes criminal and regulatory matters involving cryptocurrency.
Privacy and data security is crucial for those who transact in this sector. Our data security lawyers advise blockchain and cryptocurrency participants on the development of information risk management programs, vendor assessment and management, security disclosures, employee training, and cyber incident planning and response.
We are investigators and advocates with deep experience in cyber-related internal and governmental investigations, regulatory compliance and enforcement matters, cyber-related crisis management, and both civil and criminal litigation.
Our experience includes:
- Capital raising
- Advising on securities regulation, including matters involving tokenized securities, initial coin offerings, and digital assets
- Privacy and data security
- Federal and state criminal and regulatory investigations and enforcement
- Internal investigations
- The Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering law (BSA/AML)
- Intellectual property law, including patent and trademark registration and infringement litigation
- Consumer financial services, including licensing and regulatory compliance issues related to cryptocurrency, crypto-adjacent products (e.g., NFTS), and mobile wallets
- Technology transactions and licensing