Steven P. Mehr has a national, broad based real estate practice, with a focus on the development, leasing and financing of commercial, retail, industrial and resort properties. He concentrates on acquisitions, dispositions, construction, zoning and entitlements.
Steve has extensive experience guiding developers in structuring joint ventures and developing industrial, multifamily, residential, and commercial projects, including resort development, planned communities, condominiums, timeshares, private residence clubs, golf courses, and condominium hotels. Steve actively counsels governmental agencies in a wide variety of development projects. He also maintains an active real estate finance practice representing borrowers and institutional lenders, investment banks, and portfolio lenders in the loan origination and restructurings for all asset classes. Steve’s financial expertise also includes representation of private equity funds in private equity transactions, capital markets, securities law and regulation, and startup investments involving seed funding and angel investment.
- Real Estate
- Banking and Financial Services
- CMBS Loan Origination
- Mixed-Use, Condominium, and Multifamily Development
- Real Estate Private Credit and High-Yield
- Qualified Opportunity Zones
- Real Estate Development and Transactions
- Real Estate Finance
- Distressed Assets and Opportunities
- Distressed Real Estate
- Distressed Office Buildings
- Resort, Hospitality and Timeshare
- Zoning and Land Use
- Special Districts
- Western Real Estate Finance
- Insurance Company and Institutional Investments
- Representing Point of the Mountain State Land Authority in connection with the redevelopment of the Utah State Prison, which is being relocated within the state. Ballard’s team is working on all aspects of the project including creation of a Development Agreement, disposition of the land and development parcels, creation of condominium structures, special financing structures and general state and regulatory counsel.
- Represents Markwins Beauty Brands in a sale/leaseback transaction for a large 300,000 square foot industrial property in the City of Industry, outside of Los Angeles. Markwins is a major international distributor of cosmetic products to over 80 countries around the globe.
- Prepares and negotiates industrial warehouse leases for a national developer.
- Represented a government entity in all aspects of the implementation of a legally mandated transfer of multiple real property assets.
- Represents a public water agency in the acquisition and development of multi-site industrial projects.
- Represents and advises government entities, including state agencies and special service districts.
- Serves as counsel for a number of developers of large master-planned unit development communities, including commercial and mixed-use communities.
- Represents the principal vertical developer of Empire Pass, a master-planned residential community in Deer Valley.
- Represents a national sporting goods retailer in leasing, acquisition, disposition and general real estate matters.
- Represents landlords and tenants in leases for office and retail.
- Represents lenders and private placement purchasers in various financing for resort, commercial, retail, industrial and mixed-use properties in California and Utah.
- Represents ski resort owners and developers in transactions related to general resort development and the purchase and sale of buildings, development parcels, lots, and condominiums.
Pro Bono Experience
Site Ready Utah, Advisory Committee
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
LawWithoutWalls, Worldwide Practitioner Mentor, Team Leader
Recognition & Accomplishments
The Best Lawyers in America, "Ones to Watch," – Real Estate Law (Los Angeles), 2022-2024
Legal 500, Real Estate - Land Use/Zoning, 2022
Recipient, Ballard Spahr's 2019 Pro Bono Award, for exemplary pro bono service
Speaker, “The Art of Giving Feedback,” LWOW Sprint, Miami, FL, June 17, 2020
Panelist, “Putting the Pro in ProBono: How Can Entities Better Prepare Attorneys for ProBono Assignments,” January 22, 2020
Presenter, “She, He, We and Who: Rethinking Access to Justice In a Non-Binary World,” Los Angeles, CA, January 21, 2016
Presenter, “Ambiguous Legal Issues Associated with Investigations and Audits,” Miami, FL, February 9, 2015
Board Memberships & Community Service
Riley Children's Foundation, 2009-present
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, 2005-present
S.C.O.R.E., practitioner mentor/presenter, 2013-present
Indiana University Maurer School of Law (J.D. 2012)
Recipient, Jefferies Fellowship and Merit-Based Scholarship
Executive Competition Coordinator and Executive Board member, Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition
Graduate student representative, Campus Judicial Board
University of Utah (B.A. 2009)
District of Columbia