Benjamin A. Kelley co-leads the firm's Insurance Company and Institutional Investments Team. He counsels clients in all aspects of real estate-related legal matters with a primary emphasis on representing both lenders and borrowers in commercial real estate finance transactions. Ben’s experience includes construction/rehabilitation loans, forward commitments, acquisition loans, refinance loans, bridge loans, tenant improvement financings, credit tenant financings, mezzanine loans, note sales and acquisitions, loan-on-loan structures, structured and permanent financings (and assumptions and modifications thereof) of market rate and affordable multifamily housing projects, seniors housing projects, industrial/warehouse projects, office buildings/complexes, corporate parks, retail shopping centers, and mixed-use projects.
Ben has a diverse practice that also includes representing real estate owners and developers in soup to nuts ground-up real estate development and finance transactions, representing equity owners in joint venture arrangements and mezz/preferred equity investments, representing buyers and sellers in acquiring, selling and financing commercial real estate, and representing commercial property owners and tenants in commercial leasing matters.
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Development and Transactions
- Real Estate Finance
- Commercial Loan Servicing
- Insurance Company and Institutional Investments
- Commercial Finance
- Banking and Financial Services
- Housing Finance
- GSE and FHA Financing
- Bridge Lending
- Real Estate Private Credit and High-Yield
- Represented the joint venture partner and financial adviser in a $675 million planned sale-and-leaseback transaction for construction of a 40-story office tower in Charlotte, NC
- Represented the developer in the phased acquisition and financing of the development of a multifamily project in Wilmington, DE, on a former textile mill site
- Represented the developer in the sale of 2 build to suit logistics warehouses in Baltimore, MD
Pro Bono Experience
Ben has participated in Wills for Heroes ( www.willsforheroes.org ) events in Rockville and Baltimore, Maryland at which he and other Ballard Spahr attorneys assisted first responders and veterans in completing basic estate planning documentation.
Ben has counseled Baltimore Green Space (a nonprofit land trust that partners with communities to preserve and support community gardens, forest patches, pocket parks, and other community-managed open spaces) in connection with its acquisition of community-managed open spaces in Baltimore City, Maryland.
Ben worked with a team of Ballard Spahr attorneys and the Maryland ACLU in challenging the constitutionality of an Elkton, Maryland, loitering law on behalf of eight homeless individuals whose personal effects were destroyed when the town bulldozed the campsite where they were living. On September 5, 2007, Elkton's town council repealed the loitering law.
Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA)
American Bar Association:
- Member of the Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Committee of the Real Property Trusts and Estates Section (RPTE) and Co-Chair of the 2023 RPTE National CLE Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Former Chair of the Residential, Multifamily and Special Use Group of RPTE and former chair of the seniors housing subcomittee
Equal Justice Associates, a private-bar fundraising and networking arm of the Maryland Legal Aid Bureau; Former Vice Chair of the Executive Committee
Mortgage Bankers Association, Member
Recognition & Accomplishments
Moderator, "Filling the Gap – Mezz Debt and Preferred Equity" Ballard Spahr's 18th Annual National Housing Symposium, May 10, 2023
Panelist, "Next Steps in Financing – Making the Loan Fit the Project," Fundamentals 2.0 – A Commercial Real Estate Series webinar, American Bar Association, April 18, 2018
Moderator and Panelist, " Financing Multifamily: Market Rate Apartments, Seniors Housing, Affordable Housing, Manufactured Housing, Work-Force Housing, Student Housing and Mixed Use," ABA RPTE Spring Symposia, Denver, CO, April 20, 2017
Board Memberships & Community Service
Baltimore Green Space – an urban land trust; Vice President of the Board, Chair of the Land Transactions Committee and member of the Executive Committee
Beth Am Synagogue; Trustee of the Board of Trustees and member of the Executive Committee
University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D. 2008, cum laude)
Staff Member, The University of Baltimore Law Review
University of Maryland (B.S. 2002)