Lauren Engelmyer is an attorney in the firm’s Litigation Department, focusing her practice on the defense of government investigations, securities class actions, and other complex business litigation and arbitration. She has extensive experience representing financial institutions in investigations by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, FINRA, and the SEC. As a litigator, she has successfully represented clients in jury trials in Federal court and in arbitrations.
Prior to her role at Ballard Spahr, Lauren was a litigator at a large international law firm headquartered in New York City, where she worked on securities litigation and complex commercial cases, including for Fortune 500 companies.
Representative Matters Involving the SEC & DOJ
- Successfully represented a technology company in multi-year parallel investigations by the SEC and DOJ into allegations of securities and tax fraud, resulting in no charges filed by the DOJ and SEC
- Successfully represented an employee of a large financial services firm in an SEC investigation into allegations of insider trading, resulting in no charges filed by the SEC
- Represents a former CEO of a lighting company fighting a criminal indictment for securities fraud and involvement in a pump-and-dump scheme
Representative Civil Matters
- Represents KPMG former employees in a class action dispute brought by Credit Suisse shareholders alleging RICO violations and fraud (Stevenson v. Thornburgh, 23-cv-04458 (S.D.N.Y.))
- Represents global investment banking firm in litigation about the firm’s services in connection with a SPAC transaction and capital raise
- Represents large pharmaceutical company in securities fraud class action, derivative claims, and related government investigations
- Represents international medical research institute in dispute in which plaintiff seeks a royalty payment relating to a breakthrough pharmaceutical
Pro Bono Experience
University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D. 2014)
Associate Editor, Journal of Constitutional Law
Cornell University (B.A., with distinction, 2010)