David J. Armstrong is the Managing Partner of Ballard Spahr's Phoenix office and a member of the firm's Expanded Board. He is an experienced environmental litigator, but also devotes a significant amount of his practice to advising clients on environmental risks and liabilities in corporate and real estate transactions and regulatory compliance.
David has significant experience in prosecuting and defending cost recovery and contribution claims under federal and state environmental statutes and defending environmental enforcement matters. He has vast experience conducting environmental due diligence, negotiating environmental indemnity agreements, and drafting prospective purchase agreements and environmental insurance policies.
Enforcement and Litigation
- Representing a Fortune 100 company in defense of natural resources damage claims associated with alleged PFAS releases.
- Represented a national fast food chain in obtaining funding from California's UST Cleanup Fund.
- Represented a property owner in Superfund claims against a manufacturing tenant that caused substantial contamination of property near Reno, Nevada
- Represented a regional convenience store chain in defense of a RCRA 7003 Order issued by the federal Environmental Protection Agency and federal, state, and tribal court litigation related to that order
- Serves as lead counsel for an Arizona utility in the defense of a $40 million federal Superfund claim for alleged groundwater contamination in metropolitan Phoenix
State Bar of Arizona
Member, Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section
Arizona Chamber of Commerce, firm liaison
Recognition & Accomplishments
Chambers USA, environment (including water rights), 2013-2023
The Best Lawyers in America, environmental law, 2013-2024
The Legal 500 US, energy – renewable/alternative, 2014-2015
Named to Who's Who Legal: Environment & Climate Change, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019-23
Board Memberships & Community Service
Arizona Food Bank Network, Former Board Chair, member and Governance Committee Chair
Arizona Petroleum Marketers Association, Member, Board of Directors
Temple University James E. Beasley School of Law (J.D.)
Editor-in-Chief, Temple Environmental Law & Technology Journal; Recipient, Barrister Award for Trial Advocacy
College of Charleston (B.A.)
U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Federal courts in Connecticut, Nevada, New York, and Oregon and the Navajo Nation Tribal Court (admitted pro hac vice)