Tom Woessner practices in the areas of estate planning, administration of trusts and estates, estate and gift taxation, and fiduciary-income taxation. He frequently speaks to individuals and organizations on estate planning, trusts, and related tax matters. He brings a strong financial background to his practice; before entering the legal field, he was a chief financial officer and controller at various companies and a senior accountant at a Big Four accounting firm. He remains a certified public accountant.
Tom is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. He is a past Chair of the Minnesota Bar Association's Probate and Trust Law Section Council and past Chair of the Hennepin County Bar Association's Probate and Estate Section.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and developing estate plans for clients and preparing the necessary documents. These documents go beyond the basics and include vehicles such as private foundations, Family Limited Partnerships (FLPs), Grantor Retained Annunity Trusts (GRATs), Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRTs), Charitable Lead Annuity Trusts (CLATs), Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILITs), Self-Cancelling Installment Notes (SCINs) and other sophisticated planning documents
- Planning for executives with stock options
- Planning for retirement plan assets including reducing income tax costs on the distribution of retirement plan assets and protecting assets with trusts
- Represent numerous closely-held business owners in reviewing, analyzing, and developing succession plans as well as the preparation of documents necessary to implement such plans
- Assisting high net worth clients in the preparation and negotiation of ante-nuptial and postnuptial agreements
Trust and Estate Administration
- Probate administration of large and complex estates including commercial real estate or closely held businesses in multiple states and international asset holdings
- Represent financial institutions as corporate fiduciaries in trust administration, interpretation and contested trust litigation.
- Preparation of federal and state estate tax returns and federal gift tax returns.
- Preparation of federal and state fiduciary income tax returns for estates and trusts.
- Estate and gift tax audits.
- Representation of guardians and conservators in guardianship and conservatorship proceedings.
American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
American Bar Association
Minnesota Bar Association, Past Chair of the Probate and Trust Law Section Council
Recognition & Accomplishments
The Best Lawyers in America, trusts and estates, 2017-2020
Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2006-2019
Minnesota Super Lawyers, “Top 40 Estate Planning Lawyers,” 2008-present
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2013
Tom Woessner Shares his Thoughts on the Upcoming Tax Changes with Minnesota Lawyer, June 28, 2013
Board Memberships & Community Service
The Family Partnership, Chair of Board of Directors
University of St. Thomas Mentor Externship Program, Mentor
Minneapolis Rotary Club #9, Treasurer and on Board of Directors
William Mitchell College of Law (now Mitchell Hamline School of Law) (cum laude)
University of St. Thomas (cum laude)
U.S. Tax Court