Barbara Rummel serves as co-leader of the firm's Mergers and Acquisitions practice group and serves on the firm's Expanded and Elected Boards. She has completed numerous M&A transactions involving public and privately held businesses, with deals ranging in size from under $10 million to more than $1 billion. Her experience covers a range of industries, with a particular emphasis on the life sciences, including medical device, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology companies. She has recently completed acquisition transactions in the water and safety solutions, communications technology, hospitality and financial services industries.
She also serves as outside general counsel to several companies, working directly with business leaders or supplementing in-house legal capabilities to meet a variety of transactional needs. In these roles, she negotiates key governance, joint venture, licensing, manufacturing, distribution and transition services agreements for clients of all sizes, including domestic and international arrangements.
- Led team in representing a publicly-traded client in a series of strategic transformative transactions over the course of 2021 and 2022, including an acquisition by merger, change of corporate name and trading symbol on Nasdaq, a 1-for-4 reverse stock split, a PIPE offering of Series A preferred stock and warrants to institutional investors, the issuance of a special pre-closing cash dividend of proceeds from the sale of its key legacy operating business, and the issuance to legacy shareholders of non-transferable contingent value rights (CVRs) that will entitle them to receive future distribution proceeds from the sale of company pre-merger assets.
- Represented a public company in the communications infrastructure industry with disposition of its key business line as part of a transformative strategy plan
- Managed an engagement for a major U.S. fashion brand for contract review of commercial, marketing, licensing, and e-commerce agreements, including contracts with factories and suppliers outside of the United States
- Represented manufacturer of medical equipment in sale to private equity purchaser
- Represented private equity purchaser of pharmaceutical royalty stream from innovative medicine for rare disease
American Bar Association, Member
Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
Minnesota Women Lawyers, Member
Recognition & Accomplishments
The Best Lawyers in America, mergers and acquisitions law, corporate law, 2019-2023
Listed in The Power 30: M&A, Minnesota Lawyer, 2023
Named "Notable Practitioner" by IFLR 1000 for banking/financial services, 2018-2022
Presenter, "Understanding the SPAC Exit Path," Minnesota Association for Corporate Growth, October 2021
Presenter, "On to 2021: What Lies Ahead for Mergers and Acquisitions?" Minnesota Association of Corporate Counsel, December 2020
Presenter, "Best Law Firms for Women - Policies, Practices, and Initiatives that Work," Minnesota CLE (also 2013), January, 2014
Board Memberships & Community Service
FINNEGANS Community Fund, Volunteer Attorney
Co-author, "Ballard Spahr Gears Up for a Busy 2019," M&A Magazine, January 2019
Drake University Law School (J.D. 1990, with honors)
Winona State University (B.S., cum laude, 1986)