Michael Ostermeyer has 30 years of experience advising clients in the commercial real estate space. A strategic, results-oriented advocate who combines formal business training with considerable depth in corporate portfolios and public real estate projects, he is known for his ability to provide practical solutions that reflect an understanding of the business landscape and stand the test of time.
Mike represents national, regional, and governmental owners and investors of real property in three areas:
- Guiding public development and public infrastructure projects
- Advising corporate, commercial, industrial, and institutional clients—and others who own real estate as an operating asset—on portfolio management, including restructuring and disposition in distress situations
- Developing commercial, institutional, and industrial real estate
Corporate Real Estate Portfolios:
- Principal real estate counsel to a Forbes Global 2000 firm that provides managed services to business, governmental, and institutional clients worldwide.
- Principal real estate counsel in handling transfers of approximately $850 million in manufacturing, warehouse, packaging, and transportation facilities in 13 states, conveyed in connection with the combination of domestic operations by two significant food and beverage companies.
Public-Private and Public Infrastructure Projects:
- Principal outside counsel to a private REIT currently deploying more than $1 billion to develop public infrastructure projects across the United States.
- Principal outside counsel to a private REIT currently emerging to develop health care projects (including primary care, diagnostic, residential, and other facilities) to serve workforce constituencies.
American College of Real Estate Lawyers
American Bar Association, Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Student Writing Competition, Chair, 2011-present
- Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal, Acquisitions Editor, 2009-2014
- Standing Committee on Publications, 2004-2006, 2008-2009, 2014-present
- Section Advisory Board, 2005-2008
- Property Preservation Task Force, 2004-2009
- Committee on Economics, Technology and Practice Methods, Chair, 2001-2005
Recognition & Accomplishments
Chambers USA, Real Estate Law, Wisconsin, 2007-2017
The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2005-present (Wisconsin, 2005-2016; Illinois, 2017-2019; Arizona, 2020)
State Bar of Wisconsin, Legal Innovator Award, 2014
Board Memberships & Community Service
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Community Council Member (Greater Phoenix)
Habitat for Humanity of Central Arizona
Pro Bono Counsel, Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity, Inc., 1991-2013
University of Notre Dame (M.B.A. 2011)
Beta Gamma Sigma
Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D. 1989)
Order of the Coif
University of Notre Dame (M.A., English, 1984)
Luther College (B.A., summa cum laude, 1983)
Phi Beta Kappa
United States Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin