Shelah F. Lynn concentrates on representing developers in the development and construction of many types of mixed-use, condominium, and planned community projects including residential, retail, office, hotel, and other similar uses. Such projects include new and conversion condominiums, mixed-ownership developments, and planned-unit developments. Shelah advises developer clients on design and construction contracts and the drafting of project formation documents. She also represents existing community associations, whether developer or owner controlled, and advises clients on all aspects of community association operation.
As a substantial part of her practice, Shelah represents developers in the defense and resolution of warranty, construction, and transition disputes related to the development, construction, and sale of residential and mixed-use condominiums and communities and the pursuit of third-party claims, where applicable. Such representation includes informal negotiation, mediation and arbitration, and litigation, if necessary, but with heavy emphasis on negotiations and alternate dispute resolution methods and procedures.
- Defended, negotiated and settled multiple construction and design deficiency and warranty claims on behalf of residential and mixed-use condominium developers in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia and initiated, prosecuted and settled third party claims against contractors and design professionals related thereto.
- Represented a developer on the development of a large mixed-use condominium project in Baltimore City including consultation on construction contracts, hotel management and related contracts and preparation and filing of requisite condominium documents and drafting and negotiation of custom purchase and sale agreements.
- Represented a developer on the development of a property owners association in the City of Alexandria containing a residential condominium, retail and townhouses and City improvements.
- Represented a developer on two (2) adjacent mixed-use projects in the City of Rockville including the preparation of master and sub-residential condominium documents and the drafting and negotiation of a development agreement with a housing agency, which will own a portion of the project.
- Represented a developer on the development and structuring of a mixed-use project in the District of Columbia containing a residential for-sale condominium, apartment building and retail uses.
Maryland Building Industry Association (MBIA), Legislative Committee
District of Columbia Building Industry Association (DCBIA), Housing Committee
Urban Land Institute (ULI)
District of Columbia Bar Association
Maryland Bar Association
Panel Speaker, "Public/Private Partnerships," Women in Construction Conference, October 2018
Co-author, "Recent Jury Decision Makes the Case for Alternate Dispute Resolution for Condominium Warranty and Construction Claims," Building in Maryland and Washington, DC, March/April 2013
Author, "Settling Community Association Warranty Claims," Building in Maryland and Washington, DC, July/August 2011
Co-author, "Solar Incentives in Maryland – The Numbers May Just Add Up," Building in Maryland and Washington, DC, July/August 2009
American University, Washington College of Law (J.D. 1984)
University of Connecticut (B.A. 1981)
District of Columbia