Gerard Belfort is an associate in the Litigation Department. He represents companies and individuals in a wide range of civil and criminal disputes in federal courts, state courts, and arbitration tribunals. He also provides counsel to people and entities facing various types of government and regulatory inquiries.
Prior to rejoining the firm, Gerard served as a law clerk for a district court judge in federal court in Chicago.
- Represented a Global 250 financial institution in the Southern District of New York in related actions seeking claims for fraud, civil conspiracy, and breach of fiduciary duty following a failed EB-5 Visa application. Without settlement, Plaintiffs filed stipulations of dismissal without prejudice.
- Represented a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical supplies company in the Southern District of New York in a civil rights action alleging violations of the American with Disabilities Act based on the design of a website. Without settlement, Plaintiff filed a voluntary dismissal with prejudice.
- Represented a private logistics company in Nassau County Supreme Court in an action seeking damages for breach of a promissory note. Obtained a judgment for $179,200 and an order for $20,750 in attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a Fortune 120 financial institution in Queens County Civil Court. Successfully opposed a motion to vacate a default judgment.
Securities Enforcement and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Represented a significant stockholder of a public company in a books and records action to obtain information in connection with a proxy contest.
- Represented several directors of a company in a state court action in Florida, alleging fraud, securities fraud, control person liability, fraudulent misrepresentation, negligent misrepresentation, fraudulent omissions, constructive fraud, violation of the uniform fraudulent transfer act, and unjust enrichment.
- Represented broker dealers and registered representatives in FINRA arbitration tribunals in New York and Puerto Rico in litigations alleging FINRA trading/sales practice violations and supervisory failures related to the sale of alternative and complex products.
- Represented brokerage firms in their responses to regulatory entities regarding alleged disclosure failures for variable annuities products and secondary market compliance failures.
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented a commercial property management company in the Town of Pelham Court in Westchester County, New York, in a landlord-tenant dispute over past due rent. Obtained an order of possession.
- Successfully settled a dispute for an Am law 100 firm over past due rent from a delinquent subtenant occupying its space. Subtenant wired $120,000 to said client and vacated the premises.
- Represented a Fortune 70 financial institution in the Eastern District of New York in its response to a third-party subpoena from the United States of America, in an action alleging various types of fraud related to the sale of residential mortgage backed securities against a Global 500 financial institution.
- Represented financial technology companies offering lease-to-own products in investigations from the Federal Trade Commission, New Jersey Attorney General, New York Attorney General, and the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Represented a national provider of payroll, compliance, and HR solutions for businesses in an investigation from the New York Attorney General.
- Represented several employees of a non-profit organization in an investigation from the Office of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Inspector General.
American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Minority Trial Lawyer Committee, Co-Chair (2021-Present)
Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Arbitrator (2018-Present)
National Futures Association, Arbitrator (2018-Present)
Elisabeth Haub School of Law at Pace University, Adjunct Professor, Course: Securities Regulation - Law 657 (2023)
Coro New York Leadership Center, Leadership New York, Cohort 38 (2022-2023)
Panelist, “The Black BigLaw Pipeline 2023 Boot Camp,” The Black BigLaw Pipeline, June 10, 2023
Panelist, “Law School 101 – What I Wish I knew Before Law School,” Just The Beginning – A Pipeline Organization, May 25, 2023
Moderator, “Building Litigation Skills Through Pro Bono,” American Bar Association, July 20, 2022
Panelist, “Making the Most of a Judicial Internship and Landing a Judicial Internship,” Judicial Intern Opportunity Program Orientation, June 9, 2022
Panelist, “JIOP Litigation Section Welcome Session,” American Bar Association, April 6, 2022
Speaker, “Law Clerks," Litigation Radio Podcast, January 4, 2022
Board Memberships & Community Service
The Black BigLaw Pipeline, Advisory Board Member (2023-Present)
Black Men Lawyers’ Association, Associate Board Member (2022-Present)
Just The Beginning – A Pipeline Organization, Associate Board Member (2022-Present)
Growth and Development Services, Inc., Board Member (2021-Present)
American Bar Association, Center for Public Interest Law, Center on Children and the Law, Commission on Youth at Risk, Voting Member (2021-2023)
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law (J.D. 2016)
Stony Brook University (B.A. 2012)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York