A former South American soccer executive who has testified to paying and keeping track of bribe payments to South American soccer officials said Thursday that he had no knowledge of whether three defendants on trial in the FIFA corruption case actually received the money marked for them.

Juan Angel Napout, 59, the former president of the South American confederation known as CONMEBOL, Jose Maria Marin, 85, the former president of the Brazilian soccer federation, and Manuel Burga, 60, the former president of the Peruvian soccer federation, are facing charges tied to alleged bribery schemes over the awarding of media and marketing rights to major international soccer tournaments to sports marketing companies such as Torneos. All three have pled not guilty. On Thursday, an attorney for Marin, James Mitchell of Ballard Spahr LLP, presented Rodriguez with a chart from an email from June 2013 that he testified to the day before showing bribe payments to be made to South American soccer officials for rights to Copa America tournaments. He said the bribe arrangements were made and told to him by the CEO and principal at Torneos, Alejandro Burzaco, who testified for the government earlier in the case.

Marin is represented by Charles A. Stillman, James A. Mitchell and Bradley Gershel of Ballard Spahr LLP and Julio C. Barbosa of Barbosa Legal.

Read the full article here. Subscription may be required.

https://www.law360.com/articles/990299/exec-says-he-never-confirmed-receipt-of-bribes-in-fifa-trial