He’s accused in a series of high-profile murders, but many details in the case against Aaron Saucedo have been sealed from the public.

When defense attorneys filed a motion to exclude cameras from his latest court hearing, The Arizona Republic and other Arizona news organizations pushed for transparency.

Police say Saucedo, 23, is the "Serial Street Shooter, " who killed nine people in 12 attacks from August 2015 to July 2016.

Media outlets sought permission for camera coverage of Saucedo’s arraignment. Saucedo’s attorneys had objected to the request, which was filed June 30.

In his argument, David Bodney, an attorney representing The Republic and other media outlets, said it was up to the defense to prove that any potential harm to Saucedo’s cause would outweigh the public benefits, as the case was one of "acute public interest. " Commissioner Richard Nothwehr ultimately denied the request for the evidentiary hearing and granted the camera coverage, saying that images of Saucedo already had been circulated in the public.

In return, Saucedo’s appearance was waived, along with the reading of the charges.

"The defense said that ‘nothing significant would come out of it anyway, " Bodney told The Republic. "I disagree that nothing significant could possibly come out of the arraignment of an accused serial killer."

The defense entered a not guilty plea on behalf of their client.

"The press and public play a unique role in monitoring our criminal justice system," Bodney said to The Republic after Thursday’s victory. "We, the people, have the right and responsibility to view and assess the performance not only of law enforcement officials but also criminal defendants and their lawyers.

"Camera coverage, and careful reporting, should inspire all parties in the criminal justice system to do their very best work."

Read the full article here. Subscription may be required.