Lisa Lanham co-leads the firm's Fintech and Payments Solutions Team. Her practice focuses on financial services matters related to the state licenses and federal approvals necessary to conduct business for a variety of asset classes and market participants. Her clients include residential and commercial mortgage brokers, lenders, servicers, and loan fulfilment providers; student, consumer, and solar loan lenders and servicers; entities offering retail installment contracts for the purchase of consumer goods; marketplace lenders; and investors who engage in secondary market activities related to these business lines. She also works with early-stage Fintech companies in all of these business lines to help develop products mindful of state licensing and regulatory compliance requirements and obtain and maintain any required state licenses and approvals necessary to engage in business.
Lisa has robust experience and positive working relationships with key regulators, including the New York State Department of Financial Services, and leverages them to usher her clients through the process of obtaining and maintaining any required licenses and approvals, completing audits and examinations, explaining difficult disclosure issues, and reporting changes of ownership, executive management, and qualifying individuals.
- Provided regulatory counsel to an international crypto exchange seeking to enter into the US market, which included a large state licensing project to set up a US subsidiary and US-compliance program prior to the client engaging in business
- Representing and providing counsel on structured finance, securitization, and other secondary market transactions on the applicability of related transaction parties’ licenses
- Representing and providing counsel to parties on licensing concerns related to merger and acquisition transactions
- Coordinating with regulatory agencies, including the New York State Department of Financial Services, to gain time-sensitive approvals necessary to complete large-scale multistate transactions
Pro Bono Experience
- University of Miami School of Law, LawWithoutWalls, guest lecturer and team leader
- KikOff Lending, LLC – Preferred Outside Licensing and Regulatory Counsel
- The Center for NYC Neighborhoods and Sustainable Neighborhoods, LLC – Preferred Outside Licensing and Regulatory Counsel
Recognition & Accomplishments
Board Memberships & Community Service
University of Miami (J.D., cum laude, 2012)
New York University (A.A.S., B.A. 2008)