Making the most of opportunities that stem from government policy, legislation, and regulation requires a comprehensive, forward-looking strategy, particularly at the level of state government, where the business terrain varies from one capital to the next.
Ballard Spahr looks at government relations a little differently than the typical law firm. We believe that the most effective way for business to interact with government is to be proactive, not reactive. Keeping our clients' interests paramount, we anticipate and analyze decision-makers' strategies and actions, then develop an approach that harmonizes government objectives and our clients' business aims.
We offer a range of services to clients in state capitals across the nation. We monitor and provide data on the activities of government and give direct assistance in legislative efforts, ensuring that our clients' voices are heard by policy makers and regulators. In economic development and government contracting matters, we help clients identify and pursue opportunities that fit their business needs.
Many of our attorneys have worked in government. As a result, we know how to structure transactions that meet the requirements of public programs promoting business expansion and economic development. Our team is positioned to develop and execute state-by-state strategies for meeting a variety of goals across industries, and we move aggressively to protect those goals when they are threatened.
We handle matters involving:
- Federal, state, and local legislation and regulatory requirements
- Federal, state, and local government subsidies and community and economic development incentives
- Tax credits, tax increment financing, and state tax abatement programs
- Public finance
- Urban Enterprise Zone and workforce grants and incentives
- Federal, state, and local contracting, including public procurement, public-private partnerships, intergovernmental cooperation agreements, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships