The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) mandates that covered entities—health plans, health care clearinghouses, and most health care providers—and their business associates take steps to protect personal health information. Recently issued regulations require new compliance efforts by September 23, 2013.
A team of Ballard Spahr attorneys, drawn from various disciplines, advises employers, health plans, health care providers, and their business associates on complying with HIPAA's requirements, as modified by the 2009 Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). The HIPAA team proactively:
- Keeps clients apprised of regulatory and judicial developments
- Provides guidance on security rule practices and policies
- Assists in internal investigations and assessments of suspected breaches and counseling on required notices
- Prepares HIPAA policies, forms, vendor agreements, and other compliance documentation
- Prepares training tools and conducts HIPAA compliance training
- Conducts internal HIPAA audits
- Educates clients through seminars, teleconferences, informational meetings, and the preparation of written materials
- Advises clients about OCR audit requirements
Members of our HIPAA compliance team assist clients with questions on the privacy and security of health information under other federal and state laws. Our team coordinates with other lawyers in the firm, including those from the Privacy and Data Security Group, on other issues relating to the protection of information.
For more information regarding new developments under HIPAA, please see the related alerts and programs below.
February 20, 2013
Getting a Grip on HIPAA
January 25, 2013
Final Regulations Address Privacy and Security of Health Information
March 19, 2012
Data Breach Leads to First HITECH Enforcement Settlement
June 3, 2011
HHS Proposes Expanded HIPAA/HITECH Accounting Requirements
July 9, 2010
Proposed Regulations Address HITECH's Effect on HIPAA
March 30, 2010
Data Security: Protection and Compliance Basics
Click here for the event materials.
February 23, 2010
Suspect a PHI Breach? Act Quickly
January 13, 2010
Deadlines Near for HIPAA Privacy, Security Changes
September 15, 2009
HIPAA Days Are Here Again Webinar
Click here for an audio recording of this program.
August 25, 2009
HHS Releases Regulations on New HIPAA Breach Notification Requirements
April 24, 2009
Guidance Defines Unsecured Protected Health Information for Notification of Breaches under HIPAA
February 25, 2009
President Springs Into Action on Mission To Change Health Care System
February 17, 2009
Stimulus Package Modifies COBRA, HIPAA, and Other Welfare Benefit Provisions