Constantinos G. Panagopoulos is known for his work in commercial litigation, commercial real estate recovery, consumer financial services, mortgage banking, and labor and employment. Mr. Panagopoulos has extensive experience handling commercial litigation involving contracts, partnership disputes, class actions, and lender liability. He also assists financial institutions and other lenders in working out non-performing and defaulted loans and in negotiating and drafting related agreements. He has significant experience representing lenders in mortgage-related matters brought by borrowers, and representing clients in enforcement proceedings before administrative agencies.
Mr. Panagopoulos's employment practice encompasses representing employers and management in a wide variety of labor and employment issues, including discrimination, harassment, and other civil rights litigation. He handles grievance arbitrations, restrictive covenant/trade secret claims, AAP drafting, OFCCP audits, Department of Labor audits, daily employment counseling and advice, RIF planning, executive compensation agreements, personnel policy manual drafting, and human resources/management/employee training programs and seminars.
Mr. Panagopoulos's litigation experience includes arbitrations and state and federal jury and non-jury trials. He has argued cases before numerous state and federal appellate courts.
- Represented an International Commission in class action claims arising out of unpaid Holocaust-era insurance claims (Steinberg v. International Com. on Holocaust Era Ins. Claims, 133 Cal. App. 4th 689 (Cal. Ct. App. 2005))
- Defended and prosecuted contractors in mold-related defective construction claims in Minnesota, the District of Columbia, and Virginia, including claims related to the Senate childcare facility
- Represented lenders in lender liability actions in Virginia, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia, New Jersey, Texas, Oklahoma, and Indiana
- Defended a Texas finance company in claims asserted against it in Maryland bankruptcy court and prosecuted indemnity claims against former partners in federal court
- Represented approximately 200 credit card issuers in fraud claims related to the theft of millions of credit card account numbers
- Prosecuted claims against shareholders who attempted to block the sale of a subsidiary of a large financial institution to another company
- Represented lenders in wrongful foreclosure and other mortgage-related cases in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia
- Represented lenders in OIG investigations relating to HUD-insured loans
- Represented Housing Authority executive director in debarment proceedings before HUD
- Represented Housing Authority in inspector general investigation related to contract awards
- Represented clients in OFCCP audits in Michigan, Ohio, the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland
Pro Bono Experience
Mr. Panagopoulos currently represents a client in prisoner's rights litigation. In 2013, he was honored by the Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs in recognition of his outstanding pro bono service contributions to the Washington, D.C., community.