Our success equation: Diversity = Excellence.
We value differences because they make the difference.
We are attorneys who believe that our clients are best served when the solutions we offer spring from varied viewpoints and perspectives. To that end, we have created an environment that welcomes and includes all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, or sexual orientation, and indeed values, respects, and helps all succeed.
A diverse workplace yields innovative solutions.
We do not stop there. Our commitment to diversity reaches well beyond our firm. Through our support of organizations that advance diversity in the legal profession, and our landmark Constitution High School Pipeline Project in Philadelphia, we cultivate the skills and aspirations of future generations of attorneys so that their clients might also enjoy the benefits of diverse representation. We do all this to provide relevant, in-tune, and effective counsel and because it is the right thing for our clients and our society.
Diverse perspectives drive insightful counsel.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to an employee's or a candidate's race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap or disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. Our policy covers recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination, work environment, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
We partner with diverse suppliers and vendors, including women- and minority-owned law firms and businesses ranging from recruiting firms to catering services.
Focus on Women
- In 2013, we were named to the Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession’s 2013 Honor Roll of Legal Organizations Welcoming Women Professionals. The Honor Roll recognized our efforts to advance women lawyers both within the firm and in the legal field.
- In 2012, we ranked among the Top 10 (No. 7) law firms with the highest percentage of women equity partners, in The National Law Journal's "Women in the Equity Partnership" survey. This result is based on data collected as a part of the 2012 National Law Journal 250/Am Law 200 survey.
- A survey by The American Lawyer ranks Ballard Spahr second in the nation for its percentage of women equity partners among single-tier firms in the Am Law 200 list.
- We were named one of the "Top 100 Law Firms for Women" by MultiCultural Law for 2012.
- We are among 2011's "Best Law Firms for Women," according to an annual survey by the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE)/Flex-Time Lawyers.
- We exceed the National Association of Law Placement average for percentage of female partners, female associates, and minority partners.
- Four of our 13 offices are managed by partners of color, two of whom are women. Seventeen of our practices are led by women, and eight of our 11 administrative directors are women, as are eight of our 13 office administrators.
Consider the following key facts about the firm's support of its women attorneys:
- Compared to the national average of similarly sized law firms, we have a higher representation of women attorneys. In fact, 25 percent of our partners, all of whom are equity partners, are women. This rate is higher than the national average of 19 percent.
- Ballard Spahr's numbers exceed the national average of similarly sized law firms for women who serve as associates. Fifty percent of attorneys holding this position at Ballard Spahr are women, compared to the national average of 45 percent.
- The national average of women attorneys represented on a law firm's most senior governance committee is 15 percent. Ballard Spahr exceeds this average: Women attorneys make up 20 percent of Elected Board members and 18 percent of Expanded Board members.